Introductory Letter

February 11, 2022

Ms. Julianne Davidow

Adjunct Lecturer, English Department

City College of New York

160 Convent Avenue

New York, NY 10031

Dear Ms. Davidow, 

My name is Adeeb Ahmed, and I am writing this letter to introduce myself to you and to give you an idea about who I really am. This is my first year attending the City College of New York, currently in my second semester. I have only been to campus about two times though, as I prefer remote learning over in-person learning since the commute takes a long time from where I live. I believe remote learning is just as effective as in-person learning, and I am really excited to make the most out of your class, Writing for Engineering.

I was born and raised in Queens, New York, but my parents are from Bangladesh. My parents have taught me how to speak Bengali fluently, however, I am not yet able to read or write in the language. I have visited Bangladesh a couple of times and really enjoy the different atmosphere compared to the city at it is much more peaceful in a way. What I really love about visiting the country the most though, is the way it shows me how fortunate and blessed I am. Since Bangladesh is considered a third-world country, I see a lot of things that I don’t normally see around New York. Lack of power, gas, water, poverty, are all just some of the examples that many families experience there. Every time I come back from Bangladesh, I become more grateful for the things I have in life, which is a feeling indescribable.  

My major in college is currently Computer Science. To be honest, the reason I got into the major at first was because of the high salary graduates get, which obviously is the worst reason to choose a major. However, after taking some classes for the major including a Computer Science class, I have started to enjoy it and realize I might stick around for my interest in the material. My goals in the world of engineering would probably be getting a good job such as a software engineer with a great salary, but a position that I would enjoy as well.

Something I have always enjoyed that I would consider a getaway when things get rough is working out at the gym. I got into working out in high school, but after the lockdown, I took it much more seriously. I try my best to go six days a week and focus specifically on weightlifting. I try to take care of the body that I have been blessed with to the best of my ability by staying fit and eating healthy. Working out has also made me choose healthy foods, which has impacted me for the better.

A meaningful period in my life that has changed me for the better was lockdown. The Covid-19 pandemic lockdown was something tough and different for all of us, and each of us has taken something different from it. Personally, it opened my eyes and showed me how unpredictable and short life is. I used to always make plans and try to be an organized person, but the lockdown showed me that nothing is really in my hands, and time is extremely precious. Once the lockdown was lifted, I used the lessons I learned to change the way I use my time. Instead of playing video games or roaming the internet, I go to the gym, study for my classes, and spend time with family and friends more, as I learned that I need to spend the time I have more wisely since anything could be taken from me at any moment.  

My dream for the future is to live a simple life and be the best person I could be. I wish to be a great son and give back to my parents, a great husband and treat my future wife with love and respect, and be a great father to kids if I am blessed with them. Some dreams I have are to give back to people in need in any way that I can and make a difference no matter how small or big.

Overall, I really hope you got to know me more as the person I am. I tried to be open and honest and gave the details I thought mattered the most. I truly look forward to this class as I understand what I will take away from it aren’t things I’ll forget in a year, but things I need to be successful in this major, and even in life. I hope I get to know you and my classmates as well, and that we all have a great semester together! 

Sincerely,

Adeeb Ahmed